Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Top 10 Reasons Why Rhonda Should Not Cycle Tour

"It's not because I can't, it's because I don't want to."

A few years ago, when Doug asked Brent to ride from Vancouver to Calgary, Brent knew he couldn't do it, but he didn't want to tell Doug that. So, he set his mind to training, and he trained hard so that when Doug called back, he'd be able to say no - not because he couldn't, but because he choose not to. Then, when Doug called back, they ended up riding across Canada together.

When Brent asked me to cycle tour with him, I had been on a bicycle about ten times in the previous 25 years, so I trained and developed strength and skill. I've done the Golden Triangle - a challenging three-day supported tour in the Rocky Mountains, an easy overnight unsupported ride outside of Edmonton, and some punctuated touring in Australia, and now I am telling him no not because I can't, but because I choose not to.

Here, in honor of David Letterman, whose show I've never seen, is the Top 10 reasons why I shouldn't cycle tour.

10. Cycle touring is like hitting yourself on the head with a hammer - it feels so good when you stop

9. I don't have the photoshop skills to turn pavement into trees and cars into butterflies

8. 90% of drivers being alert and considerate doesn't give me good enough odds

7. I prefer my critters live and frolicking in the bush rather than flattened on the pavement

6. I don't have the physical mass to haul the gear up the hills far enough to make the next town

5. I can't let myself get too fast for Marg and Rhonda pace

4. Pine trees and moss are more pleasant than transport truck brake smell and exhaust fumes

3. Spandex is not my colour

2. It is not an advantage to be the smallest, slowest, squishiest object trying to travel in the same space with large, hard, fast objects

1. The smell of road kill hinders my appreciation for vegemite

7 comments:

  1. This should come with a warning. I've been laughing so loud from reading it someone came over and closed my office door!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura I like your comment as much as Rhonda's blog... now I'm laughing twice as much. Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. While I agree with everything you mention Rhonda, there is still something about the amount of countryside you can see on a bike. :) I don't recall the items you mentioned being all that memorable in the rockies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL thanks for sharing Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliantly done! These would be my sentiments exactly, if I'd ever cycle toured. I've chosen to ride on the bike trails where there are frolicking creatures, not roadkill; butterflies and trees rather than cars and pavement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great information... thanks for you review and tutorial about how to comment.
    I think if we walk to other blog we most comment to give appreciate for owner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent article above. May be you need more time to share all the knowledge that you have.
    So, thanks for share this information with us, I always come across this amazing post.

    ReplyDelete

Followers